Thursday, December 04, 2008

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

Photobucket

I made these cookies for a friend who is stationed in Afghanistan as an early Christmas present, and he said he couldn't eat them fast enough. I will admit...I made 3 dozen, and I only sent him 2 of the 3 because Ben and I scarfed a few down before I get it all boxed up.

My adaptation is from this recipe on the Ghirardelli website. Instead of walnuts, I used some crushed almonds (I forgot to buy walnuts) and I doubled the size of the cookies - 2 tablespoons per cookie instead of 1. I think if I did it again, I would cut back on the salt just a tad and try 1/4 tsp instead of 1/2 -- the cookies were delicious, but I could taste the salt in them.

  • 12 ounce(s) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
  • 1 cup(s) butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup(s) packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup(s) sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla
  • 1 cup(s) unsifted flour
  • 1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
  • 1 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon(s) nutmeg
  • 3 cup(s) oats, uncooked
  • 1 /2 cup(s) almonds, chopped
Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large bowl, beat butter with sugar and brown sugar at medium speed until creamy and lightened in color (about 4 minutes). Add vanilla and egg, and mix on low speed until incorporated. Stir flour with baking soda, salt, and spices; add to creamed mixture, mixing well. Stir in oats. Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts. Drop by 2 rounded tablespoons of dough per cookie onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 11 to 12 minutes for a chewy cookie, 14 to 16 minutes for a crisp cookie. Cool 1 minute on a cookie sheet; remove to wire cooling racks. Store in tightly covered container. Makes about 3 dozen 3-inch cookies.



1 comment:

JimR said...

That looks delicious! I love chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, and have baked them many times, but I don't think I've ever added almonds as well... I'll have to try it :-)